Media Advisory: Launch of the Green Innovation Policy Commission
Over the past decade, the concerted push on the power sector to shift to low carbon has shown how well designed policy can help translate UK research excellence into new world leading industries. To move to a green economy, the UK now needs to replicate this type of innovation across all sectors.
In an effort to accelerate green innovation, leading businesses, including John Lewis and UPS, have joined forces with academics at UCL to launch the Green Innovation Policy Commission. This high level body will address the pressing need to accelerate low carbon development across the UK economy. The commission will particularly focus on so called hard-to-reach sectors, such as road freight, heavy industry, buildings and food.
Over the next year the commission will stimulate new public dialogue between policy makers, academics and businesses on how to shift the UK economy towards the net zero carbon goal. The commission will report next year in advance of the UK hosting the UN climate conference COP26.
The commission is chaired by John Cridland, former director general of the CBI and current chair of Transport for the North and the Home Group. It is directed by Paul Ekins, professor of resources and environmental policy and director of the UCL Institute for Sustainable Resources.
• Benet Northcote, director of corporate responsibility, John Lewis Partnership
• Peter Harris, international sustainability director, UPS
• Richard Kirkman, chief technology and innovation officer, Veolia UK & Ireland
• Mariana Mazzucato, UCL professor and director of the Institute of Innovation and Public Purpose
• Ian Gardner, director, Arup
• Jeremy Openheim, senior managing partner, SYSTEMIQ
• Graham Southall, group commercial director, Northumbrian Water
• Angela Francis, chief advisor, economics and economic development, WWF
• Nick Molho, executive director, Aldersgate Group
Dedicated UCL webpage
The commission is supported by Green Alliance.
For more information, please contact:
Caterina Brandmayr, senior policy analyst, Green Alliance
t: 020 7630 4516
Notes for editors:
The Green Innovation Policy Commission is chaired by John Cridland and brings together UCL academics, progressive businesses, and representatives from the Aldersgate Group and WWF.
The research is led by Prof Paul Ekins and UCL academics, and supported by Green Alliance.